Lead Time for Reproductive Health Supplies
Lead time is the total time from when a client makes a request for quotation until the goods arrive at the destination defined on the Pro Forma Invoice. Lead time information can be used to effectively plan procurement orders so that products arrive at desired times. The different components of lead time are described below.
The AccessRH lead time calculator provides estimates for product and country specific lead times.
UNFPA has already conducted bids and established long term agreements that include fixed pricing for all products that are available for ordering in the AccessRH Catalog. The bidding process can be very lengthy and requires a lot of resources. Therefore organisations ordering through UNFPA will save both time and human resources by utilizing these pre-existing agreements, which are based on public bidding rules.
Total lead time is derived from the following four components, and may vary significantly depending on the specific circumstances of each request. Please see each of the components below to learn more about the standard time estimated for each component.
1. Request processing: 1-4 weeks
In order to process client request for quotation, UNFPA works closely with our clients, suppliers, and freight forwarders to perform the following:
- Review the request for product availability, customized artwork and printing requests, destination country product registration, etc.
- Select suppliers to fulfil the request according to UNFPA's procurement procedures
- Prepare a Pro Forma Invoice upon confirmation of all costs (goods, freight, inspection, and insurance)
The lead time during this stage can be greatly reduced by providing UNFPA with complete and accurate information. The following actions will help to ensure faster processing of your request:
- Ensure all necessary fields are completed in the AccessRH Request for Quotation form.
- List specific items and quantities desired
- Select standardized items from AccessRH Catalog
- If requesting customized artwork and/or printing, please review the guidelines.
2. Order confirmation and payment: 1-4 weeks
To place an order, the client accepts the UNFPA Service Conditions and returns the completed Order Confirmation (sent with the Pro Forma) to UNFPA. UNFPA must receive the Order Confirmation within the period of time stated on the Pro Forma (normally 30 days) and receive full advance payment to the designated UNFPA account (as stated on the Pro Forma) before it can initiate the order.
3. Order placement and production: 2-17 weeks
- Order placement: UNFPA Procurement staff issues Purchase Orders to suppliers.
- Production time: For items from production, lead time depends on various factors, including product availability, manufacturing capacity, and level of product customization requested. The lead time calculator provides additional product specific estimates.
Estimated production times by product:
Male condoms from stock 2 Weeks Male condoms 4 to 16 weeks* Female condoms 8 to 10 weeks* Implants 2 to 16 weeks Injectables 2 to 16 weeks Intrauterine devices (IUDs) 2 to 16 weeks Oral contraceptives 2 to 16 weeks Emergency contraceptives 10 to 12 weeks Pharmaceuticals 1 to 12 weeks Reproductive health kits 1 to 12 weeks
*Includes time required for mandatory sampling and testing.
Note: Customized printing, artwork, and other product customizations lengthen production time and cannot be ordered in conjunction with condoms from stock.
4. Shipment to destination: 1-4 weeks
Shipment (transit) time is the time it takes to transport goods from the supplier's warehouse to the port of destination. Standard estimates are one week for air shipments and four weeks for sea shipments, though actual shipment times vary.