This page describes the components of lead time: the total time from when a client makes a request for quotation until the goods arrive at the destination defined on the Pro Forma Invoice. Lead time information can be used to effectively plan procurement orders so that products arrive at desired times.
Total lead time is derived from the following four components, and may vary significantly depending on the specific circumstances of each request. Please see each of the components below to learn more about the standard time estimated for each component.
1. Request processing: 1-4 weeks
In order to process client request for quotation, UNFPA works closely with our clients, suppliers, and freight forwarders to perform the following:
- Review the request for product availability, customized artwork and printing requests, destination country product registration, etc.
- Select suppliers to fulfil the request according to UNFPA's procurement procedures
- Prepare a Pro Forma Invoice upon confirmation of all costs (goods, freight, inspection, and insurance)
The lead time during this stage can be greatly reduced by providing UNFPA with complete and accurate information. The following actions will help to ensure faster processing of your request:
- Ensure all necessary fields are completed in the AccessRH Request for Quotation form.
- List specific items and quantities desired
- Select standardized items from AccessRH Catalog
- If requesting customized artwork and/or printing, please make sure to visit our information page on the subject.
2. Confirm order: 1-4 weeks
To place an order, the client accepts the Service Conditions and returns the completed Order Confirmation (sent with the Pro Forma) to UNFPA. UNFPA must receive the Order Confirmation within the period of time stated on the Pro Forma (normally 30 days) and receive full advance payment to the designated UNFPA account (as stated on the Pro Forma) before it can initiate the order.
3. Order processing: 2-17 weeks
- Order placement: UNFPA Procurement staff issues Purchase Orders to suppliers.
- Production time: The AccessRH concept is based on building an inventory of key contraceptives in order to reduce lead times. Currently, AccessRH offers condoms from stock, and is in the process of building inventory of other items. For items from production, lead time depends on various factors, including product availability, manufacturing capacity, and level of product customization requested.
Estimated production times by product:
Male condoms from stock 2 Weeks Male condoms 4 to 16 weeks* Female condoms 8 to 10 weeks Implants 2 to 16 weeks Injectables 2 to 16 weeks Intrauterine devices (IUDs) 2 to 16 weeks Oral contraceptives 2 to 16 weeks Emergency contraceptives 10 to 12 weeks Pharmaceuticals 1 to 12 weeks Reproductive health kits 1 to 12 weeks
*Includes time required for mandatory sampling and testing.
Note: Customized printing, artwork, and other product customizations lengthen production time and cannot be ordered in conjunction with condoms from stock.
4. Shipment to destination: 1-4 weeks
Shipment (transit) time is the time it takes to transport goods from the supplier's warehouse to the port of destination. Standard estimates are one week for air shipments and four weeks for sea shipments, though actual shipment times vary.